Elementary education includes Grades 1-6. The elementary curriculum provides various learning experiences that will enable learners to acquire basic knowledge, skills, values, attitudes, and habits essential for lifelong learning.
The Elementary Age Levels Under K to 12 Implementation:
- AGE 06: Grade 1
- AGE 07: Grade 2
- AGE 08: Grade 3
- AGE 09: Grade 4
- AGE 10: Grade 5
- AGE 11: Grade 6
The Elementary Level Curriculum Under K to 12 Implementation:
Mother Tongue as a subject is taught from Grades 1 to 3. Oral Filipino and oral English are introduced in Grade 1, in the first semester, and in the second semester, respectively.
Not all subjects are taught beginning Grade 1. Edukasyong Pantahanan at Pangkabuhayan is taught beginning Grade 4. Science is offered only starting Grade 3, however, science concepts and processes are integrated with the teaching of Languages, Physical Education and Health, Edukasyon sa Pagpapakatao, and Araling Panlipunan. The skills and steps of the investigatory process which are deliberately taught in Grade 7 Science are also taught in Araling Panlipunan when the learners are asked for example to determine the authenticity of primary and secondary sources. Science content such as the human body and its development is also discussed in Health, Physical Education, and Edukasyon sa Pagpapakatao. Science topics like climate change, environmental sustainability are favorite topics for writing and discussion in Language classes. All these and more prove that science is all over the curriculum even before it is taught formally as a separate subject in Grade 3.
Core Compulsory Subjects in the Elementary:
- Araling Panlipunan
- Edukasyon sa Pagpapakatao
- Music, Art, Physical Education and Health (MAPEH)
- Edukasyong Pantahanan at Pangkabuhayan
ENGLISH English as a subject is concerned with developing competencies in listening, speaking, reading, and writing among the learners. Pupils achieve the desired level of competence when they are motivated to learn and use the language. The specific skills constituting these competencies shall be developed to the point of mastery in communication situations using varied materials.
FILIPINO This learning area provides for the development of competencies in listening, speaking, reading, writing, and thinking in Filipino. Listening competencies include such skills as auditory discrimination and comprehension. Speaking includes pronunciation, use of expressions, and grammatical structures. Reading includes vocabulary development, recognition, comprehension, and study skills, and Writing includes handwriting skills, composition, and mechanics.
MATHEMATICS Mathematics provides learners with opportunities in the acquisition of skills and competencies necessary to gain understanding and appreciation of the subject. Specific contents for each grade level are:
- Grades 1 and 2 include the study of whole numbers, addition and subtraction, basic facts of multiplication and division, basic concepts of geometry, fractions, metric and local measurements, the use of money, and the application of these concepts to practical problems based on real-life activities.
- Grades 3 and 4 deal with the study of whole numbers, the four fundamental operations, fractions and decimals including money, angles, plane figures, measurement, and graphs.
- Grades 5 and 6 learners are expected to have mastered the four fundamental operations of whole numbers, performed skills in decimals and fractions, and learned the meaning of ratio and proportion, percent, integers, simple probability, polygons, spatial figures, measurement, and graphs. Simple concepts in Algebra are also introduced but will be articulated in high school.
SCIENCE AND HEALTH Science and Health are introduced as a separate learning area in Grade III. This learning area aims to help the child gain a functional understanding of science concepts and principles linked with real-life situations, and acquire science skills, as well as scientific attitudes and values needed in solving everyday problems pertaining to health and sanitation, nutrition, the environment, and conservation.
MAKABAYAN Makabayan is a laboratory of life or an experiential learning area which consists of Sibika at Kultura/Heograpiya, Kasaysayan at Sibika (SK/HKS); Edukasyong Pantahanan at Pangkabuhayan (EPP); Musika, Sining at Edukasyon sa Pagpapalakas ng Katawan (MSEP). Makabayan learning area provides the balance as it addresses primarily societal needs. This is where the learner can apply practical knowledge and life skills and demonstrate a deeper appreciation of Filipino culture. Thus it emphasizes the development of self-reliant and patriotic citizens as well as the development of critical and creative thinking.